|The Trinidad and Tobago Police Service has issued the following safety tips for shoppers during this hectic Christmas season:
• While Christmas is a season for caring and sharing, if you feel compelled to donate, be aware of fictitious “needy cases” which persons with ulterior motives may approach you to support. If on the spot donations are to be made be careful in opening your wallets and purses to hand over cash.
• Beware of strangers approaching you for any reason. At this time of the year, “con-artists” may try various methods of distracting you with the intention of taking your money or belongings. Be on the lookout for forged 20 and 100 dollar bills.
• To discourage purse-snatchers and pick-pocketers don’t overburden yourself with packages. We have had instances of persons having their bags handles cut and the perpetrators making off with their bags.
• Watch for people who may bump into you or try to distract you in some other way. They may be setting you up for pick-pocketing—exercise caution, particularly on Charlotte Street, City Gate and other crowded areas.
• Avoid wearing excessive jewellery whilst shopping, especially in crowded shopping areas.
• Do not use video arcades, toy stores, or a movie theatre as a baby sitter. Predators may be on the prowl looking for unattended children at this time of year. If you must take a child shopping with you, always keep them within your view. If you send your children to another department of the store, be sure that an adult is with them. A name tag with pertinent information may be attached to the clothing of the child.
• In the event that you do become separated from your children during the shopping trip, provide them with a cell phone to call you and ask your location in the store. Set up a predetermined spot for such instances.
• If you go to an automatic teller machine for cash, check for people around and make sure it is well lit and in a safe location.
• Avoid walking aimlessly while speaking on your cell phone. There are several report of snatching of cell phones in the downtown Port-of-Spain area.
Article from Trinidad Guardian entitled "Police safety tips for Christmas season: Keep children within view while shopping"
Published: Thu, 2011-12-15 20:32